MKA Soke & Dojo Etiquette
The Founder & Head Instructor will be addressed as Soke [So-Kay] Akrish during class hours, on the phone and when texting or emails.
Regardless of the relationship to the Soke outside of the school, during class time the relationship will be Formal & Proper.
This Formality is reflected by the attitude and attributes of the student. In other words, one must show complete Formality throughout the lesson time as a means of their own self-respect.
Though lessons have been [and will continue] to be given outdoors, any and all locations should be considered and treated as a Formal Dojo Setting.
Formal Dojo time starts when the student bows in at the designated Dojo Entry and continues until they bow out.
As found in the MKA Rules below, all lesson, corrections or questions requiring an answer are the responsibility of the Soke.
MKA Bowing Protocol
MKA Dojo Dialogue
During lesson time conversations should be kept to a minimum and to the lesson at hand [if at all necessary].
If there is a question during a demo/lesson, please wait until the lesson/demo is completed and then please ask your question.
“Yes Soke” , “No Soke”, “Soke, I have a question” and “Thank You Soke” are all appropriate and respectful ways to address the Head Instructor.
MKA Weapon Respect
The Shinai [training weapons] must be treated with the highest level of respect.
- Play with or swing around your Weapon as if it were a toy
- Touch any other student’s Weapon without permission
- Leave your Weapon lying around or on the ground
- Use your Weapon to lean on or in any other way it was not intended
- Touch another student in way, shape or fashion with your Weapon unless designated to
- Treat your Weapon(s) with the highest level of Respect
- Properly fold your Green Shinai bag during Shinai training time
- Keep your Weapons clean, maintained & in a protective case/bag
- Keep your control of your Weapons at all times
- Cellphones must be turned-off, put away and not utilized during lessons.
- Safety is of the utmost priority. This means that listening to and paying full attention to the Soke, your training partner and your surroundings will keep the academy free of injuries and problems.
- Students must show proper respect to their Instructors as they would wish to receive the same in return.
- Full attention and concentration must be placed while an in-class demonstration is being performed.
- There should be no mimicking or copying of the demo-technique unless asked to.
- Students must always acknowledge the readiness of their partner prior to starting any drill.
- When in doubt…slow down, take a break and inform the Soke of any problems.
- Always be sure that your partner is READY…fast or unexpected got ya moves serve no purpose and can cause harm. They will cause a student immediate expulsion from the school. This includes any type of “attack or strike” [fake or real] against anyone outside of a supervised drill.
- Mimicking, copying, moving ahead of your personal level is not allowed.
- The sole responsibility of the MKA student is to listen, learn, absorb and increase their personal skills.
- Chiming up, blurting out answers, giving suggestions or randomly teaching other students lessons is not permitted.
- It is not necessary to ask for lessons above your level at any time. There is plenty for you to work on. Skill is built upon repetitiveness to make it second nature.
- If late to class, bow in and resume the ongoing training at hand.
- No alcohol, illicit drugs use, chewing gum, swearing, spitting, or smoking is allowed during class hours.
- Please remove hand or facial jewelry prior to class time. Proper hygiene must be practiced and adhered to.
- No sparring or unauthorized training during class hours. This will cause a student immediate expulsion from the school.
- Honor and Respect is the basis of all life. Foul language, personal political /social views, dirty jokes, or anything that causes disrespect or a feeling uncomfortableness to other students or the MKA Dojo can become cause for immediate expulsion.